As the owner of KLR Consulting Services, I am a consulting academic writer and editor with education and training in biomedical research and experience in clinical research administration. I specialize in medical, scientific, and academic documents, including grant applications, reports, journal articles, and theses. I am proficient in creating abstracts and in plain language editing, including generation of web copy. An effective writing tutor, I am willing to work one on one with writers at all levels of training and experience.
A Short CV
- MSc, Physiology, University of Manitoba, 1999
- BSc (Hons), Genetics, University of Manitoba, 1995
Continuing Professional Development
- Member, Editors Canada (webinar, study group and conference attendance, 2018-present)
- Member, Manitoba Editors’ Association (workshop attendance, 2018-present)
- Women and Gender Equality Canada, Introduction to Gender-based Analysis Plus (SGBA+) (Certificate of Completion, 2019)
- Introduction to Editing (Credit course, Simon Fraser University Continuing Education, 2018)
- Academic Health Sciences Leadership Program, George and Fay Yee Centre for Healthcare Innovation (Certificate of Completion, 2017)
- Carleton University Institute on the Ethics of Research with Indigenous People (Certificate of Completion, 2016)
Employment History (up to 2017)
2014 – 2017: Children’s Hospital Research Institute of Manitoba under various titles, including Quality Coordinator, Program Facilitator, and Executive Project Lead for the CEO and Scientific Director
2001 – 2015: Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology, University of Manitoba, as a Research Associate in two different research groups, first as an assistant research program director, then as a lab manager
Example Projects (since 2016)
I have been a consulting academic writer and editor on multi-million-dollar group or network applications to
- Canadian Institutes for Health Research Strategy for Patient-Oriented Research (CIHR SPOR)
- Networks of Centres of Excellence (NCE)
- New Frontiers in Research Fund (NFRF)
- Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI)
- Genome Canada (GC)
I have assisted individuals or small groups with research applications to
- Canadian Institutes for Health Research Project Grants (CIHR)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council Discovery Grants (NSERC)
- Canada Research Chairs (CRC)
- Cancer Research Society (CRS)
- The Children’s Hospital Research Institute of Manitoba (CHRIM)
I have assisted individuals and groups with publication in many journals in the health and life sciences, for example:
- BMJ Open
- Angewandte Chemie International Edition
- Advanced Functional Materials
- Pediatric Emergency Care
- Nature Communications
- The Lancet
I have assisted many graduate students at the master’s and PhD levels with achieving clarity and flow in their theses, in areas ranging from clinical epidemiology to immunology to cellular physiology to computational chemistry.
I have assisted academics with updating and formatting their CVs for a variety of purposes, including industry relations.
I have worked as an editor and proofreader for organizations including
- the Canadian Academic Accounting Association (where I also helped to update their in-house style guide)
- ISTE Ltd. (where I have been a project manager in end-stage book production for 38 titles to date)
- Graydin, an organization dedicated to teaching coaching skills in education
- Geez magazine, where I am also an occasional contributor
I am familiar with Chicago, AMA, APA, and Canadian Press styles, as well as the recent publication Elements of Indigenous Style by Gregory Younging. I also understand the intricacies of working in American, British, and Canadian English.
A Short Bio
Karen was born and raised on the Canadian prairies. She studied genetics, molecular biology and physiology at the University of Manitoba, graduating with her Master of Science in 1999. Through most of the next two decades, Karen worked in academia, moving through positions as a research associate and lab manager to project and program management in research and health care. Drawing on her extensive and varied experience, she has been an independent consulting writer, editor, and proofreader for academics and professionals since 2016. Her mission is to help clients convey information in a way that is both useful and helpful to their intended audiences.
Karen credits her interest in science and nature (and her love of horses) to her maternal grandparents. As biologists and naturalists, they always encouraged her to observe the world and ask questions about it. When not wordsmithing, Karen can be found at Falcon Beach Ranch in the Whiteshell, where she keeps her horse and helps out on staff when needed.
Karen lives with her family in southeastern Manitoba.